[fhb] 2021 National FHB Forum Update

USWBSI Co-Chairs nfo at scabusa.org
Tue May 25 14:55:36 UTC 2021

Dear USWBSI Community,

The USWBSI Executive Committee (EC) met Wednesday, May 12 to decide the
format for the 2021 National Fusarium Head Blight Forum.

The EC decided to hold a Virtual NFHB Forum in December 2021.

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback via the recent survey; your input
informed our deliberations. The EC reviewed the survey findings and had an
open discussion of the variables that are impacting our ability to hold an
in-person meeting. One of the key findings of the survey was a concern
regarding attendee travel restrictions. More than 60% of respondents are
presently under travel restrictions, with some uncertainty as to when these
restrictions would be lifted. These travel restrictions have potential to
significantly impact attendance with concomitant financial implications to
the Initiative. The financial obligations to the hotel were reviewed
carefully, and it was determined that the USWBSI was in the best position to
limit its liability to the hotel if a decision was made this month.

This was a difficult decision, but fortunately the USWBSI is well positioned
to handle an adjustment to a virtual meeting for one more year. The Forum
Organizing Committee is working on mapping out the virtual program; watch
for details on the schedule and registration in the coming months.  We are
excited to build on the experience from our first successful virtual event
this past December, and look forward to reconnecting virtually.

Please be sure to mark your calendars for early December and watch the
<https://scabusa.org/forum21> 2021 NFHB Forum website for details!  If you
have any questions or feedback, please let us know.

We appreciate your support and understanding,

Ruth Dill-Macky and Richard Magnusson
USWBSI Co-Chairs

USWBSI-NFO
Office PH: 517-290-5023