[fhb] Upcoming Transitions for the USWBSI-NFO

Ruth Dill-Macky ruthdm at umn.edu
Thu Mar 18 21:32:11 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues:

The USWBSI-NFO will be seeing some transitions over the coming months.  This includes Sue Canty retiring, Michelle Bjerkness joining the USWBSI team and the physical office relocating to the University of Minnesota in St Paul.

After almost 30 years working at Michigan State University and 21 years working for the Scab Initiative as the Director of Operations of the USWBSI-NFO, Sue Canty has decided to retire.  As you know, Sue has supported the USWBSI in a multitude of ways during her time with us; handling the grants program from start to finish, supporting each of the USWBSI committees in their functions within the Initiative, and of course organizing the Forum.  For those of us that have worked with Sue, we know that she has worked tirelessly on behalf of the Initiative, and that those efforts have been integral to the Initiative’s ongoing success.  Her decision to retire has not been easy, as she has truly enjoyed her time working for the USWBSI.  However, due to primarily health reasons, she has decided to retire early and enjoy a mostly non-working life.  Sue will officially retire from MSU in September, but will continue working for the Initiative on a part-time basis at least through the 2021 Forum. We will recognize Sue for her invaluable service to the Initiative at the USWBSI’s Forum in December.

I am excited to announce that Michelle Bjerkness has joined the NFO team as the Incoming Director of Operations.  Indeed, Michelle started with the USWBI-NFO this week and comes to us with a wealth of scientific association and management expertise.  For the pathologists among you, you may already know Michelle as she worked for the American Phytopathological Society for almost 20 years, most recently as the Director of Operations.  I expect many of you will have an opportunity to meet Michelle over the coming months at any of the USWBSI meetings, and trust you will join me in making Michelle welcome.  Michelle’s UMN email address is  <mailto:bjerk027 at umn.edu> bjerk126 at umn.edu.

Sue and Michelle will be working closely over the coming months as the various responsibilities and the physical location of the office transitions. Although we are moving the office from MSU to UMN, and that transition will occur over the next couple of months, the contact information for the USWSBI-NFO, including the email ( <mailto:nfo at scabusa.org> nfo at scabusa.org) and phone number (517-290-5023) will remain the same.

I look forward to connecting with you all at the 2021 FHB Forum, if not before.

Best,

Ruth
-
Ruth Dill-Macky
Research Co-Chair, U.S. Wheat & Barley Scab Initiative (https://scabusa.org <https://scabusa.org/> )
Executive Director, Networking & Facilitation Office

Professor
University of Minnesota
Dept. of Plant Pathology
495 Borlaug Hall, 1991 Upper Buford Circle
St. Paul, MN  55108
Cell:  (651) 399-0947
ruthdm at umn.edu <mailto:ruthdm at umn.edu>